Friday, December 12, 2008

Good News, Bad News...

The good news is that I don't have to wear my heart monitor anymore! YAY! Good riddance!

The bad news? They don't know exactly what's wrong with me. Yes, I had an episode of tachycardia, they definitely believe me. But it hasn't happened again. And it's not something that I frequently deal with. And while they could give me medication, "just in case", I'm pregnant, and the less medication the better. Particularly because this medication can make the baby's growth slow down. (Sometimes I wonder if this is a bad thing...) So, if it happens again, I can try to make it stop by either bearing down, or putting my face in ice water. (I'm voting for bearing down!) I could also try sticking my hands in ice water. (This would be my 2nd choice!) Basically, it's an attempt to shock my heart back into rhythm. In the event that it DOESN'T slow down, I can head for the ER. BUT, if it goes back to normal BEFORE I get to the ER, I shouldn't waste my time at the ER... because if they can't do an EKG (and there's nothing for the EKG to capture), well, me being there won't do anybody any good.

On the other hand, if I pass out or seem to be having other problems, I should probably call 911.

Joys.

So, I will be in touch with my cardiologist throughout my pregnancy (meaning, if I have another episode, I need to call him and let him know, regardless of the outcome), but ultimately, nothing further will be done until I have delivered this baby. Then I get to have a stress test. With an echocardiogram. FUN STUFF!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you are having these problems. I have to go and have Non-stress test twice a week for this kid as well as the other ones I've had and had to wear a monitor with the first one. I totally feel your pain.

May the rest of your pregnancy be stress-free and non eventful.

Congrats on the new btw.

8:14 PM  
Blogger King Isepik said...

Holy Crap! She's posting!!! Quick, someone check the temperature in Hell. :)

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus