Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Birthday Party Gifts

When my children are invited to birthday parties, I almost always ask the parents if there is a particular gift that the child is hoping for or would enjoy. I figure that this gives the parents the opportunity to put the 'nix' on any toys that they don't want in their home, plus gives me a lot of ideas so that when I lead my child down the awe-inspiring toy aisle, I can give them some direction.

I know that you love Fairytopia, but don't you think that Matthew would much rather have this really cool Spiderman?


I find it frustrating, however, when parents say, "Oh, she loves anything." Because we all know that ain't true! By gosh, by golly, if I'm going to be passing out the gold coins, I want to buy something that the child actually LIKES. Besides, my child's emotions are at stake here too - she feels bad if her gift is tossed aside because it's soooo last year.

So now it's my turn.

I have had several parents ask me for gift ideas, and I have complied. I have suggested general categories: The Princess loves 'The Littlest Pet Shop' toys, "Barbie", and 'arts and crafts.'

I have suggested add-ons to toys that she already has: The Princess would welcome an additional set to her 'Legos', 'Lincoln Logs', 'Kid K'nex', or her 'Loving Family' dollhouse.

I have even suggested books: The Princess is currently reading a series called "Dragon Slayers Academy" and would enjoy any books starting with #10 or higher.

Yet, I am feeling greedy.

Of course, I always add the obligatory "Oh, she would love ANYTHING!" because, well, it's obligatory. I think it is supposed to lessen the guilt of "I want, I want, I want."

I'm not sure it's working.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess observing the child while he/she plays for a few moments will give you some idea on what he/she wants. Or you could probably ask some of the kid's close friends to know what are their favorites.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Queen Karana said...

That idea used to work really well for me when my child was younger. Our 'friend' situation is unique as most of them are not 'neighborhood' friends, so it is difficult to observe or talk to their other friends. I think that's one of the reasons why us parents are always asking the "what would your child enjoy" question. Your suggestion does work really well for my youngest daughter, however. I am usually with her on all play dates, etc, so I get to watch her and her friends a lot.

Thanks for visiting!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she like to build with Lego, Knex and Lincoln Logs, she will probably like Toobeez because the pieces are bigger so the things she can build are bigger. My kids have a set and love it. They build tents and then "camp out" in the living room. It's a little expensive but if you add up what is spent on the other sets, it's equal. My son received it as a gift (from a family member). This won't help you from the friend buying perspective but some family members might be willing to chip in.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus