Sunday, January 20, 2008

Not The Right Reason

On one of my online groups there was a woman looking for ways to earn money from home. Many women came forward and suggested a large variety of jobs.

The original woman came back and said, "Well, we've considered these ideas, but what about "Foster Parents?" She asked for the possible pros and cons.

Well, here in Utah, if you have a "normal" child, age 11 or under, who requires what they call "Basic Shelter" - you can be paid $15 per day. Their medical bills will be covered, and if they are young enough, they might qualify for WIC which will help with the food expenses. The money is for you to use as you wish, but you are also required to purchase a minimum of $41 in clothing for the child each month.

Personally, the idea of someone considering becoming a foster parent so that they can earn extra money turns my stomach.

Plus, I'm not sure $15 per day is worth it... not if I was just in it for the money.

It takes a very special person to be a foster parent. The ones that I have met, I have been honored to know. They have been some of the most loving, selfless people I have ever met. I realize that not all foster parents are in it for the money, and I realize that not all foster parents are all that loving. I also realize that being able to make a difference in a child's life is priceless.

But to be a foster parent for the money? That's simply, in my opinion, not the right reason.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

That is so sad! I know of people that have "Used" the foster care system. In fact there is a guy in our ward--- he ran for City Council and all of his flyers and website and all went on and on about how great he is because he got foster kids.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I hadn't even really looked at that thread until I read your blog!! OH MY GOSH!! Foster Parenting is PARENTING - not babysitting to "make extra money"

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus