Friday, November 16, 2007

And The Test Results Are...

... positive.

And no, I'm not referring to a pregnancy test.

I took my dinner plates in to be tested for lead content, and one of my sets tested positive. The other set was negative... go figure.

Anyway, I've been told to stop using the plates and to have my kids tested for lead poisoning.

I really feel that my kids are OK, but we are going to have them tested anyway. I hate putting them through this, but I talked to several people at our pediatrician's office and they all recommended doing it, even though everyone acknowledges that it's probably not a big deal, and that if it was only trace amounts there isn't really anything they can do other than increase the kids calcium and iron intake. I guess this is just one of those situations where the risks could be bad really bad, so it's better safe than sorry.

They'll have the blood test on Wednesday.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I'm frustrated. We do so much to try and keep our kids safe, and who would think that dinner plates were the unseen danger? Seriously! A few people have mentioned to me that "the levels were not that high" - but that just begs the questions - what levels are safe? What risk are you willing to take when it comes to your kids? Especially for a stupid set of dinner plates? My situation was not as bad as the families whose experience sparked this investigation -- no where near as bad -- but does that make it less of a concern? I don't think so.

You take away a toy that has lead in/on it because a child might put it in his/her mouth... but dinner plates are OK because kids eat off of those EVERY SINGLE FRIKKIN' DAY. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

We're gonna be OK. I'll get a new set of plates, and the kids will be tested, and they WILL be fine. ('Cause I'm the Mom and I said so!) Plates are replaceable. Kids are not. I'm pulling for a RECALL - with MONEY BACK - 'cause I'm not buying plates from Gibson ever again.

As a side note, the testing that was done did not test how much lead was leeched out of the plates during normal use - only that lead was present. Still... how much is that plate worth to you?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

damn! what's the deal with this world. everytime i turn around there is a recall or we are killing ourselves with whatever product we are using at the time.

as advanced as we SEEM to be, why aren't there better testing measures put into place before items are sent to market?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

This is so frustrating! Especially the comments about "The levels weren't that high!" What the heck ever! They are our kids and we have every right to protect them! I hope they do issue a recall and give money back! I have a couple of Gibson bowls that I promptly threw away even though I loved, loved, loved them! I love, love, love my kiddos so much more!

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
  Graphics by and Copyright © 2001 Point of Focus